Update on O’Neal Plaza Renovations
Progress continues on the renovations to O’Neal Plaza in downtown Douglasville. The project, which broke ground back in October 2016, ultimately began construction about a month ago.
The renovations are expected to be completed sometime in October and will cost around $750,000. Renovations to O’Neal Plaza were made possible through a Transportation Enhancement (TE) grant provided by the Georgia Department of Transportation, which covers 80% of the project cost. The City of Douglasville will cover the remaining 20% in matching funds.
Renovations to O’Neal Plaza will consist of some much needed upgrades, including the demolition and construction of a new plaza fountain that will be located closer to Church Street. The old fountain was outdated—bricks needed to be replaced constantly, and leaked frequently.
“It’ll be more modern, interactive, and will match the exterior of the Douglasville Conference Center,” said Planning Director Michelle Wright.
Another important facet of the renovation plans calls for upgraded utilities and a rebuilt infrastructure in an area where flooding of adjacent buildings has been a major issue. The original drainage structures, which were no longer effective will be replaced.
“When it rained, water would roll down into the Irish Pub and other buildings,” explained Wright.
One of the most important features of the renovation project is the handicap accessible upgrades. The main passageway of the plaza will be level and comply with ADA (American with Disabilities Act) standards.
“Our goal is to make the plaza more user friendly,” said Wright. “We look forward to this new renovation and hope it will provide years of value for many Plaza events for residents and visitors to enjoy.”